Documentation Services
Navigate complicated paperwork without worry

yacht documentation services

There’s a lot of paperwork that needs to be completed throughout the buying and selling process of large boats. Whether that paperwork is completed via hard copy or digitally, anyone without a broker would be overwhelmed with the amount of paperwork that is required with the transaction. But at Blue Yonder Yachts, we have invested the time to build experience and a reliable network of partnerships with trusted marine documentation agents. No hidden fees, 100% professional service.

Documentation of your yacht and titling a vessel can be complex, confusing and downright frustrating when working with foreign entities. We can assist in the complex aspects of titling, registering and closing vessels in the International Registries of the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

We offer a wide range of services and solutions for all your Vessel Documentation needs. We specialize in Registration Transfers for pleasure vessels as well as Temporary Import Permits (TIPs) for Mexico.

Based on your location and specific need, we will coordinate with our network of marine documentation experts to handle all the small details and stay on top of the paper trail, so you don’t have to.

As an independent third party, we are there to look out for your interests and make sure the yacht you are purchasing has no hidden surprises in its history; or, that the yacht you are selling has no lingering legal ties to you.

types of documentation

what we do

For vessels registered or looking to register in the USA, Canada, or Mexico, we assist in the complex aspects of closing, Title and Official Documentation and other foreign country transactions, which include such documents as:

a Abstract and Title Searches

a Title History

a Original Documents and Titles

a Transfer of Ownership

a Lien Searches, Filings and Satisfactions

a Deletion From Documentation

a Re-Flagging

a Temporary Import Permits (TIPs) for Mexico

a Secure Escrow Accounts

While documentation serves the same function more or less, it’s process can differ depending on the country of documented origin.

In the United States, a documented vessel is one that is registered with the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). Pleasure boats that are documented with the USCG are issued a Certificate of Documentation (COD) and a unique identification number known as the hull identification number (HIN).

In Mexico, vessels are required to be registered with the Mexican Navy (Secretaría de Marina). The registration process includes obtaining a permit from the Mexican government, providing proof of ownership and nationality, and submitting various documents and fees. However, if a foreign vessel simply wishes to enter Mexican waters, it must have a valid Temporary Import Permit (Permiso de Importación Temporal de Embarcación) which is good for 10 years. 

In Canada, vessels are required to be registered with Transport Canada if they are over 15 gross tons, powered by an engine of 10 horsepower or more, or used for commercial purposes. The registration process includes providing proof of ownership, obtaining a unique vessel number, and paying a fee. Vessels that are not registered with Transport Canada may still be required to carry proof of ownership and other documentation, such as a bill of sale, when operating on Canadian waters.

Blue Yonder Yachts can help in all three countries to ensure your vessel is properly registered and documented.